May 6, 2026 - Chemo Fatigue / Rest as Medicine
As a first‑time caregiver, I wasn’t sure whether this level of fatigue was expected or if I should be doing something differently. So, I did a quick Google search for exhaustion after chemo.
Google Result Summary
Take home message: Rest is Medicine
After reviewing a bunch of reputable online resources returned by the search, and looking for the points on which they agreed, the verdict was pretty clear: let her sleep as much as she feels she needs. At this stage, rest really is medicine.
Tami isn’t up for much exercise yet. I’m hopeful that as the tumor begins to shrink and relieves some of the pressure that makes walking so uncomfortable, the pain will ease enough for us to reduce the opioids significantly. As I stated previously, one of the side effects of the opioids is the food sensation that everything is really dry. So, I am hopeful that with fewer opoids, food will stop seeming so dry to her. If that happens, her list of tolerable foods will grow again, and she’ll be able to consume enough calories to be able to start exercising a bit more and rebuild some muscle and body mass.
Basic Truth about Chemo Fatigue
The bottom line is that chemo kills a lot of cells—both the bad ones and plenty of good ones. The body, being the remarkable self‑preserving machine that it is, immediately shifts into repair mode to rebuild what’s been lost.
The fatigue is made worse by the fact that anemia is common during treatment, which means fewer red blood cells are available to carry oxygen to organs and muscles. And on top of that, as I mentioned in an earlier post, she’s on a pretty significant opioid regimen.
All of this adds up to one simple truth: her body needs her to do as little as possible while it works on repairing the damage.