July 10, 2026 - No Chemo Today...
"You Look More Relaxed"
As most of you know, I call square dances for a few wonderful weekly clubs. One of the dancers (okay square dance royalty) in my Sunday Night club, Jim Maczko, made the comment that I seemed more relaxed lately. I guess my attempts at hiding the stress were not working very well. I apologize, as I try hard not to burden dancers with my reactions to what is going on with Tami. The calling has been my therapy throughout this journey, and the dancers have been agents of comfrort for me. They deserve better than to bare the burden of my concern.
But... back to Jim's comment. He is right. I am more realxed. As I stated in an earlier blog post, the most recent trip to ER was preceded by me finding her on the couch somewhat unresponsive. What I did not express in the previous post was just how traumatic it was to look into Tami's vacant eyes and have to shake her awake. That was followed by in inpatient stay where the first several days of her stay were very touch and go. I spent the first week not sure I was going to take her home.
Once I got her home and she started losing weight, I was waking up every morning dreading the overnight "Tami" check. She went from being 108 pounds when she left the hospital, to 98 pounds in a matter of two weeks. Definitely, not a positive development. At the same time, she developed a blood clot that caused swelling in her left leg and foot.
Tami has stabilized, and in some respects, improved. Her weight fluctuates between 105 and 108, but has at least stopped dropping. Her mobility is getting better as she walks within the house. She has enough strength to reposition herself in bed at night. As she moves more, her muscles are beginning to strengthen, and her joints are less stiff and sore. All of this has led to a reduced need for pain meds. So, she is not in the opioid fog that got her through the early part of the journey. When she is awake, she is truly present.
Bottom line, I am more relaxed, because I am no longer haunted by the fear of finding Tami unresponsive. I also am less guilty about sneaking out and calling local dances, as I believe we still have a bit of time together.
Chemo Postponed
Now... Onto the update. Today we were supposed to restart chemo. It would be a reduced chemo, but chemo nonetheless. Though we were both dreading it, we also understand that chemo is necessary to fight the cancer. However, today it is not to be.
As regular readers of this blog know, Tami is on a clear liquid diet because she has an intestinal blockage. In order to get nutrients, Tami is fully dependent on TPN, which we deliver nightly through her Port-a-Cath (simply called a "port" by those in the biz). Unfortunately, one of the chemo drugs that Tami is supposed to be receiving is delivered via a take home pump that infuses over the span of 46 hours. Since the port cannot be used for both, Tami needs to have a PICC line inserted.
Toward the end of Tami's most recent hospital stay, they had attempted to insert a PICC line, but the positioning of the port interfered with the nurses ability to successfully complete the insertion. Well, yesterday, they tried again. Same obstruction, same result. The next step will be to let Interventional Radiology take a run at it, as they have the appropriate equipment to guide the PICC line past the obstruction. Until that happens, chemo will be on hold.
So... more to come...