August 4, 2026 - Celebration of Life Details
Tami's Connection to the Recital Hall
Tami and I were blessed to share almost every Monday night together in the Recital Hall in Balboa Park with our little hexagon group, the Lighthouse Squares. Tami would be the first face everybody saw. She would sit at the treasurer's table and chat with whoever came in. Tami also danced with the California Heritage Dancers, who practice in this hall. So, she felt a real connection to the hall. Though Tami and I didn't discuss this as part of our planning discussions, I am certain she is smiling at the choice of the location.
Some Practical Information
Location - Recital Hall, Balboa Park
Date and Time: Sunday, August 23 at 12 Noon
Where is The Recital Hall - The address of the Recital Hall is 2130 Pan American W Rd, San Diego, CA 92101. For those that use landmarks, the Recital Hall is close to the Auto Museum, and fairly close to the Air & Space Museum. For more information about the Recital Hall, click here.
Parking - Until January 1, 2027, the city of San Diego will continue to charge for parking in Balboa Park. Rather than try to explain the parking in this forum, here is the link to the "official" information regarding the parking fees, and the various lots available for parking.
About the Event Itself
This will be a simple memorial celebration centered around saying goodbye to the beautiful woman I was fortunate enough to call my wife for 37 years.
The program for the event will be:
Due to the heat, the number of people that will be there that are not square dancers, and the need to have the chairs taking up a majority of the floor space, this event will not include open square dancing. For those of you interested in dancing, the Sundown Squares will be holding it's normal dance at 5 PM in La Mesa. I will be the caller for that, possibly with a little help from some friends. Pease see the Sundown Squares Website for more information.
Also, if you are a square dancer, you may remember that Tami generally dressed in square dance attire when at a dance venue. If you are able to, and comfortable doing so, on eway to honor her would be to dress in square dance attire.
Gratitude
I am grateful to the California Heirtage Dancers, who usually use the hall for their practices on Sundays, for letting us use the hall for Tami's celebration. I am equally grateful to the San Diego Square Dance Association, specifically, Mo Ninteman, for working with the Park to ensure that we could hold the event in this hall. Finally, I am grateful to the Wranglers Square Dance Club for going dark on this date to ensure that those dancers who wanted to say goodbye to Tami, would be able to without being conflicted. The word blessing does not even begin to express how amazing the support of this community has been throughout Tami's health challenges.I will, no doubt, post something after the event. I also recognize that I still owe y'all an Epilogue. That will all happen in good time. Still a lot to process. But thanks to an amazing immediate family, Tami's immediate family, and all of the people in our Square Dance community, I am not only being kept afloat, but being lifted up... I am truly blessed.
In Leiu of Flowers
If you are so inclined, please donate to one of the following organizations:
- The American Cancer Society - So many of us have been directly touched by cancer. The American Cancer Society has a good track record of turning donations into action. We need to do everything we can to help the organizations on the front lines in this battle.
- The Feral Cat Coalition - Though she would never call herself "the crazy cat lady," Tami did have a really soft heart for our feline friends, both feral and otherwise. We used to feed and water neighborhood cats that wandered in and out of our yard. On a few occassions, we have trapped them and took them in for "the" operation. The Feral Cat Coalition Spay/Neuter clinics is where we took them. They do a great job.
... More to come...